Universität zu Köln | Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
PhD Student Position (f/m/d)
- Online seit 14.10.2020
- Wissenschaftl. Stellen
Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
PhD Student Position (f/m/d)
Proteostasis Mechanisms in Aging and Disease (Hoppe Lab)
The University of Cologne is one of the largest and most research-intensive universities in Germany, offering a wide range of subjects. With its six faculties and its interfaculty centres, it offers a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines and internationally outstanding profile areas, supported by the administration with its services.
Protein homeostasis (proteostasis) is achieved via conserved quality control pathways that support correct protein folding and activity. Unfortunately, the proteostasis network has a limited capacity and its impairment triggers aggregation of damaged proteins that deteriorate organismal viability. Protein aggregation in the human brain is central to neurodegeneration causing intelectual and motor deficits. By manipulating the proteostasis machinery, our team was able to delay the aging process and extend the lifespan in the nematode model C. elegans.
- Studying proteostasis with in vitro and in vivo biochemical assays and determine the response mechanisms upon neuronal stimulation, proteotoxic stress conditions and aging
- Combining state of the art genetic screening, biochemical and in vivo imaging techniques
- Studying the regulation of proteostasis networks in C. elegans and human cell models
- Defining proteostasis networks essential for stress resistance and tissue functionality
WE OFFER YOU
- a diverse and fair working environment
- support in reconciling work and family life
- flexible working time models
- extensive advanced training opportunities
- occupational health management offers
- local transport ticket at a discount for UoC employees
The position is available from 1st of January 2021 on a part-time basis (65%). It is limited to three years. If the applicant meets the relevant wage requirements and personal qualifications, the salary is based on remuneration group TV-L 13 of the pay scale for the German public sector.
The University of Cologne is committed to equal opportunities and diversity. Women are especially encouraged to apply and will be considered preferentially in accordance with the Equal Opportunities Act of North Rhine-Westphalia (Landesgleichstellungsgesetz – LGG NRW). We also expressly welcome applications from people with disabilities / special needs or of equal status.
Please send your application with proof of the required qualifications by email (in one pdf-file) with the reference number Wiss2009-19 to Prof. Dr. Thorsten Hoppe (email@example.com). The application deadline is 15 November 2020.
- Master of Science (e.g. Biology)
- Enthusiastic and highly motivated
- Interested in fundamental protein quality control mechanisms and aging research
- Good communication skills, fluency in English and the ability for teamwork
- Experience with genetic model organisms and/or molecular genetics
- Art der Beschäftigung
- Zeitraum der Beschäftigung
- It is limited to three years.
- the salary is based on remuneration group 13 TV-L (pay scale for the German public sector)
- Sonntag, 15. November 2020 - 23:59
- Hochschule / Einrichtung
- Universität zu Köln
- Institut / Einrichtung
- Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
- 50931 Köln, Deutschland
- Herr Thorsten Hoppe